I was walking down the street when I was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked me for a couple of dollars for dinner.
I took out my wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked,"If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of dinner?"
"No, I had to stop drinking years ago," the homeless man replied.
"Will you use it to go fishing instead of buying food?" I asked.
"No, I don't waste time fishing," the homeless man said.."I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive."
"Will you spend this on hunting equipment?" I asked.
"Are you NUTS!" replied the homeless man. "I haven't gone hunting in 20 years!"
"Well," I said, "I'm not going to give you money. Instead, I'm going to take you home for a shower and a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."
The homeless man was astounded. "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that?
I replied, "Don't worry about that. It's important for her to see what a man looks like after he has given up drinking, fishing and hunting."
Popular travel stories
- Hiking to Active Lava on the Big Island of Hawaii
- From Bangkok to the Bat Caves
- Hiking To Laguna De Los Tres In Patagonia
- Visiting Vietnam's Marble Mountains
- My Amsterdam Trip
- In search of the perfect Welsh sunset
- Dawn at Borobudur Temple
- I'll never know...
- Enchanted Caves and Well of Sintra
- Watching The Sunrise Over Indonesia's Sexiest Volcano