Qingdao is a coastal city in the eastern province of Shandong in China. The city has retained much of its German-style architecture from the colonial period in the late 1800s. An old saying described Qingdao as a city of "red tiles green trees, blue sky and blue sea." It remains as one of China's more charming and relaxing cities.
The Qingdao Railway station is located at Tai An road in Shi Nan district and was initially built in 1899. In the years leading up to the 2008 Summer Olympics, the station underwent a significant renovation in order to accommodate increased passenger traffic for the Olympic period and afterwards. The new station is an example of German architectural traits incorporated into a Chinese-designed building, which is consistent with many structures in Qingdao.
Zhan Qiao (Zhan Bridge) is at the southern shore of Qingdao off Zhongshan Road. This 440 meters long strip stretches into the sea and was the first wharf at Qingdao. An octagonal pavilion called the Billowing Back and Forth Tower (Huilan Ge), loosely translated, stands at the end of the pier and was constructed in 1930. The pier itself was started in 1891 and frequently enlarged. Zhan Qiao Pier is viewed in the eyes of many as the official symbol of Qingdao.
St. Michael's Cathedral, also called the Zhejiang Road Catholic Church, which is abbreviated by locals to simply the "Catholic Church" is the seat of the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Qingdao. It is located in the oldest township of Qingdao. Built by German missionaries, the cathedral stands at the top of a hill in the center of the old German-built part of the city. It is the largest example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the province, resembling a German cathedral of the 12th century.
The Qingdao Aquarium is the oldest public aquarium in China. The aquarium was first opened to the public in 1932. It has been listed as a major historical and cultural sites protected by Shandong Province since 2006. It is located right on shore of the Yellow Sea's Huiquan Bay, next to the No. 1 Bathing Beach.
Lu Xun Park is a small park in Qingdao. It is dedicated to the memory of Lu Xun, a famous writer during the May Fourth Movement. The park stretches for nearly a kilometer along the Huiquan Bay. It is spread over an area of four hectares. The park is a beautiful blend of natural setting and cultural sites. Popular places like Number 1 Bathing Beach, Small Qingdao Island and Little Fish Hill are in the park's neighborhood.
Badaguan, means the eight great passes, is a historical mansion area located near the coastline in the city of Qingdao. The name is made up of streets named after great military forts of the ancient times. It was originally a residential area for the Germans built when Qingdao was a German protectorate (1897-1914).
On the south side of the No. 2 Public Beach, is a large rocky outcropping on which a stone Russian villa was constructed. Built in 1932, Huashi Lou combines Greek, Gothic, and Gothic influences throughout its five storey hulk. It is constructed from marble and stone and features a large turret and a multicolored outer face which inspired the locals' nickname for the structure, "the colorful rock building"
The May Fourth Square is a large public square in Qingdao's central business district. It is located between the new municipal government building and Fushan Bay and is composed of Shizhengting Square, the central square and the coastal park. The square is best recognized by the large "May Wind“ sculpture near the seaside. The square is a popular tourist destination.
Lao Mountain, or Laoshan, is culturally significant due to its long affiliation with Taoism and is often regarded as one of the "cradles of Taoism". It is the highest coastal mountain in China and the second highest mountain in Shandong, with the highest peak (Ju feng) reaching 1,132.7 meters. The mountain lies about 30 kilometers to the northeast of the downtown area of Qingdao and is protected by the Qingdao Laoshan National Park that covers an area of 446 square kilometers.
The largest temple complex on Mount Lao is that of the Taiqing Palace (Temple of Supreme Purity), a Taoist temple that was first built during the Northern Song dynasty with the present structures dating to the reign of the Wanli Emperor in the Ming dynasty. The temple is located near the coast, below Pantao Peak on the southeastern foot of Mount Lao and is hence also known as the Lower Temple. The main structure of the temple is the Hall of the Three Pure Ones with houses statues of the Taoist Trinity.
Shangqinggong (The Temple of Great Purity, also known as the Upper Temple) is located on the southeastern slope of Mount Lao above Taiqing Palace (the Temple of Supreme Purity). It was established during the Song Dynasty and rebuilt during the Yuan Dynasty. In the years 1297 to 1307. It is one of the oldest extant structures on Lao Mountain.