The island of Maui is the second-largest of the Hawaiian Islands in the United States. According to legend, the navigator Hawaiʻiloa who discovered Hawaii named the island of Maui after his son. Maui's diverse landscapes are the result of a unique combination of geology, topography, and climate.
Kahului, Wailuku, Lahaina
The museum is located in the small sugarcane growing and milling community of Kahului on Maui island. It exhibits the history of Hawaiian sugarcane plantations and Alexander & Baldwin and its role in the sugarcane industry in Hawaii. Alexander & Baldwin became one of the "Big Five" corporations that dominated the economy of the Territory of Hawaii. The company itself continues in business and though it has diversified, it continues to produce sugarcane. The museum itself in the former mill manager's house.
The historic district consists of a group of four historic buildings and one non-contributing property that currently house the governmental offices of both the County of Maui and the State of Hawaii. The historic buildings were built during a time span from 1901 to 1931 and they incorporate several architectural styles. They are: the Old Wailuku Courthouse of Beaux-Arts architecture, the Old Police Station of Mediterranean Revival Style, the Wailuku Library and the Territorial Building of Mediterranean Revival & Hawaiian architecture.
Nakalele Point is a land mass on the eastern edge of the northern tip of the island of Maui. Nakalele means "the leaning" in Hawaiian. The famous blowhole produces powerful geyser-like water spouts with the waves and tides. Water spewed from the blowhole can rise as high as 100 feet in the air. A lighthouse was erected around 1908 at Nakalele Point.
It is a public park located in the town of Lahaina, which was the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii from 1820 to 1845. Also known as Lahaina Courthouse Square and commonly called Banyan Tree Park, it contains multiple heritage sites on the Lahaina Historic Trail, and a self-guided walking tour through the Lahaina Historic Districts. The park occupies the site of the Old Lahaina Fort, originally built in 1831 to protect the town from riotous sailors when Lahaina was used as an anchorage for the North Pacific whaling fleet. An Indian banyan tree was planted in the courtyard square in 1873 to memorialize the 50th anniversary of the first American Protestant mission in Lahaina. The tree has become the largest banyan tree in Hawaii, and one of the largest banyan trees in the U.S. Its extensive trunk and aerial root system now covers 0.66 acres.
Haleakalā, or the East Maui Volcano, is a massive shield volcano that forms more than 75% of the Island of Maui. The volcano last erupted sometime between 1480 and 1600. From the summit one looks down into a massive depression some 11.25 km across, 3.2 km wide, and nearly 800 m deep. The surrounding walls are steep and the interior mostly barren-looking with a scattering of volcanic cones. Visitors come to the summit of the volcano to watch spectacular sunrises.
The national park is divided into two distinct sections: the summit area and the coastal Kipahulu area. The park is known for its unique volcanic features, its long scenic drive with numerous overlooks, and the unusually clear views of the night sky available. Haleakalā is one of the best places in the United States for amateur astronomy. The park is home to many tardigrade (water bear) species surviving in the extreme environment near the mountain summit. The Haleakala Observatory near the visitor center is an important observation site. It is above the tropical inversion layer and so experiences excellent viewing conditions and very clear skies.
The Seven Sacred Pools are 7 swimming holes connected by waterfalls and hidden in the dense bamboo forest of Ohe'o Gulch in the coastal area of Kipahulu. There are a car-accessible campground, and several well-maintained trails, such as the four-mile Pipiwai Loop Trail to the Waimoku waterfall.
It is a state park located in the Hāna district, reached via the famous and scenic Hāna Highway. The 103.6 km long stretch of Hawaii Routes 36 and 360 is very winding and narrow and passes over 59 bridges, 46 of which are only one lane wide. Most of the drive passes through lush, tropical rainforest. Many of the concrete and steel bridges date back to 1910 and all but one are still in use. The Hāna Highway is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Waiʻanapanapa means “glistening fresh water” in the Hawaiian language, referring to nearby fresh water streams and sparkling pools.